Network utilization scripts in BaseOS MP version 6.0.6958.0 may cause the following issue with ISA 2006 (installed on Windows 2003 Standard Edition x86 SP2 in my case):
- From client perspective: VPN connections stop working.
- Windows Server Application log: error with Event ID 1000, “Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module netman.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x00008930“
- SCOM 2007 R2 reports the following errors:
- The Windows Server service on server servername.domain.name has stopped running
- The Windows Workstation service on server servername.domain.name has stopped running
- The Windows Management Instrumentation service and ConfigMgr Advanced Client are unavailable
- Remote Access Service State is 1 – not running
- Microsoft.Windows.Server.NetwokAdapter.BandwidthUsed.ModuleType.vbs : The class name ‘Win32_NetworkAdapter Where MacAddress <> Null And ServiceName <> ‘PptpMiniport’ And ServiceName <> ‘RasPppoe’ And ServiceName <> ‘VMSMP” did not return any valid instances. Please check to see if this is a valid WMI class name.. The remote procedure call failed
- The Logical Disk Manager service on server servername.domain.name has stopped running
- The Computer Browser service on server servername.domain.name has stopped running
- Restart ISA 2006 server.
- Disable rules AND monitors according to Kevin Holman article “OpsMgr: Network utilization scripts in BaseOS MP version 6.0.6958.0 may cause high CPU utilization” http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/12/12/opsmgr-network-utilization-scripts-in-baseos-mp-version-6-0-6958-0-may-cause-high-cpu-utilization.aspx